Wednesday, December 27, 2017

2017 – Ain’t Seen Nothing Like It

So it’s been a year.

For everyone.

Not all of it good.

In fact, quite a bit of it has been troubling.

Which is why it’s so strange that, personally, this year’s been really exciting for me. I went from a handful of published stories to now near twenty novels and stories published with ten different publishers and two sex-positive brands. I’ve appeared in articles with both Rolling Stones, for my political erotica, and Mashable, for my stance on net neutrality. I’ve had the privilege of working with so many great editors, of having my work included next to so many amazing authors, and of hearing from so many absolutely lovely readers.

Honestly, I don’t know how I could have made it through this year without all that. It’s been so harrowing and exhausting at times watching what's happening all around. And being given this miraculous outlet to channel all that through has been a life- and a soul-saver. I am so proud and humbly grateful for how far I’ve come and what I’ve been able to accomplish. It hasn’t always been easy, but the work has always felt more than worth it.

I’m incredibly excited for next year. And a little terrified. Because the world, as a whole, is poised for change and, lord knows, change is always hard and is not always good. But I’m also a big believer that we learn more and grow more when we fall than when we fly. And, as much as all this turmoil has depressed and paralyzed me, it’s also spurred and inspired me. So, bring it on, 2018; I am ready.

This year, I started a new series, in addition to my Donovan’s Door series, called Faere Trade, where I get to play in a more sci-fi/ fantasy playground with witches and gargoyles and beasts and aliens of all kinds. Where I get to examine my world, it’s joys and flaws, through a stranger speculative lens. What can dating a beast tell us about what it’s like to love and be loved with more diverse body types? What can living as a cosmic alien tell us about the experience of living as an immigrant or a person of color or a woman? I’m hoping to officially publish my first Faere Trade title next year and hopefully even more after that.
                                                                                       
I also hope to continue my Donovan’s Door series, whose characters I love and hope never run out of stories to tell. I have a few Donovan’s Door titles lined up for release next year as well and have plans for even more.

As some of you know, I plan to create a video newsletter next year as well, where I talk about what I’ve done, what I’m up to, and what’s coming up for me next. If that's something that sounds interesting to you, send an email with NEWSLETTER in the subject line saying you'd like to sign up to sonnidesoto@gmail.com and, when I have enough names to make a good go of it, I'll start sending one out every month.

It’s been an extraordinary year, in more ways than imaginable; I can’t even begin to imagine what next year will bring.

But I can’t wait to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment